28 January 2011

Milestone week

Well what a milestone week. I was feeling really worked up about not having received my signed I-20 and having lost my accommodation and having unnecessary delays. The strangest thing is, I still felt to go to my visa interview yesterday, even though anyone in their right mind would not go because the website clearly said you needed everything they asked for and I didn't have that! I felt a bit nervous and the first lady I spoke to said she doubted my visa would be approved without the official signed copy of my I-20. However, the lady who assessed my application was absolutely lovely. She said she was happy to approve my application and gave me the request for paying my visa issuance fee and so I paid it. She just said to bring the form in when I could.

The funny thing is, after she had already said yes and I had paid my visa issuance fee, I looked down and noticed the piece of paper I had brought in to confirm my finances didn't even have my name on it and the term deposit account it referred to no longer existed, because it expired and I re-invested in a different account with a different bank!

So, what also happened is I got an email from this UK girl with two email addresses of staff at IHOP who might have a room for me to rent. The first one got back to me super quick and she said it was for a two bedroom place sharing with a mature Godly woman, 15 minutes walk away and $450/month. The 15 minutes away put me off and I didn't like the idea of sharing with just one person. She said she did not allow shoes or pets in the house. That is fine by me - must be a clean house. Anyway, I sent her back an email saying I felt uneasy about late night classes and walking home in the dark.

The other was from one of the older ladies I had searched out on FB and determined she looked ok out of the huge list of names on a contact list I stumbled across on the Internet. She sent me two photos of a beautiful pink furnished bedroom. She rents out the room for $320/month and I would share the bathroom with one other girl. She lives in the house and has her own bathroom - so in total, it would be three of us. The only down side is that she has two cats. i really don't like cats! haha, but other than that, all was good. The house is 7 minutes away and sounded much better.... so I impulsively said "yes!, please take me". However, on the way home, I just felt I was meant to take the other one..... despite being more expensive and further. So weird.

Anyway, the first lady sent me a reply email saying the area is actually really safe and many people have walked to and fro to this house because she has had a lot of IHOP students stay temporarily. She said the police patrol the area and it would be fine to talk in the dark. She said the lady I would be living with is a mature Godly lady and she just knew i would like her. So I sent an email back to her saying yes. Well she just happens to be Mike Brumback's wife. I met Mike years ago in Perth at a prayer conference and he was the one I gave a lump sum of cash to because I felt led to do so and he gave mum and I two of his CDs. Somehow, I just feel such peace about living in Linda's house instead.

No comments: