01 December 2010

Resignation

So yesterday I went into talk to my line-manager, but similar to Monday, he had gone home early. So I talked to Nigel, the equivalent manager in a different section. He said he had just resigned as well and was finishing up in a week. Then I told him I was resigning because my plans to go to America had been delayed and I would now be leaving in April, not January, so this meant I had another four months to kill and I would prefer a day job. I decided to give one week's notice, even though I only actually had to give one day's notice. I just felt it would toughen me up to wear the consequences of my action to stand up for justice and fair treatment of all workers and also, that it was fair on the manager who employed me to work until the end of the roster he gave me.

Then I proceeded in telling him my concerns and gave him a piece of paper summing them up. He told me he was aware of the issues and he would give my paper to the store manager, but felt that it was unlikely anything would be done about them in-store, especially seeing I was leaving. Therefore, he told me to send a copy to the head office. So I rang up the head office and the guy on the other end of the HR department didn't sound too friendly at all. He asked me to email him directly. Gosh, I wonder whether this unfriendly man on the other end is going to be of any help at all. I guess I have done what I believe God sent me to this workplace to do.

I just feel in my heart that this season of working late nights is finished. I am quite sore too in my left shoulder. I really never want to be so proud that I cannot do a low life job and make friends with people who others look down at. I think this was a great research project and work experience opportunity for me. I really do have a lot of love for the people I work with. They are beautiful creations of God, His workmanship. I wish I could help them further.

So here are my points summed up that I gave to the manager yesterday. The text in blue was not submitted. I just wanted a record of it.
________________________________________________

Concerns regarding Occupational Safety and Health Standards

1. Some night-fill workers are unaware that they are entitled to have breaks when they work more than four hours in one shift. I have spoken to three workers who had seven hours in one night and were unaware they were allowed to have a break. One was recruited to work at the Innaloo store permanently. The other two had come from another store to assist due to a shortage of workers on a Saturday night.


Without adequate breaks, workers’ energy levels are reduced and they are more prone to accidents/injuries (potential workers’ compensation claims). In addition, the two workers that assisted on Saturday night from another store had never had breaks during seven hour shifts – they could potentially claim re-imbursement for every 30 minutes in each shift that they worked, when they were meant to be having a meal break! The Fair Work Ombudsman’s office (131394) confirmed that these staff were entitled to claim reimbursement.


Suggested improvement: Information about breaks should be included in the induction training and re-emphasised at team meetings.


Wageline (131394) advised that the following shifts should accommodate breaks:

4 hrs to 5 hrs – one 10 min paid break;

5 hrs to 7 hrs – one 10 min paid break and one 30 min unpaid meal break; and

7 hrs to 10 hrs – two 10 min paid breaks and one 30 min unpaid break.


2. A performance target rate of emptying a certain amount of stock cages per hour has been set, which is the same for all workers regardless of what type of items they are working with (e.g. dairy products, heavy metal cans or confectionary).


While it is great to have a performance target rate, if it is unrealistic (as suggested by one dairy worker last week) then staff will rush to achieve this rate and may not consider correct lifting techniques highlighted in the induction training. Consequently, muscle sprains and injuries may potentially result in workers’ compensation claims and loss of workers (requiring more recruitment, training and ultimate loss of finances). I have already heard two workers complain about back problems.


Suggested improvement: Information about correct lifting techniques should be re-emphasised in team meetings. Performance rates should be based on the type of grocery item and if there is too much stock to put out in one night, then more night-fill workers should be employed!


Worksafe (1300 307 877) advised that every work place has a duty of care towards the workers and is required to ensure occupational safety and health standards are complied with. If improvements are not put in place, Worksafe said that a formal complaint should be lodged.

No comments: