30 September 2007

African Shangwe

I went to an African Shangwe on Friday night, which was pretty kewl. It was a fundraiser dinner dance to raise money for people living in the slums in Kenya. The event was organised by the Esther Foundation, which is a Christian organisation that was set up to help women who have been victims of physical violence, prostitution and drug and alcohol abuse, to get back on their feet. The girls (dressed in white shirts and black pants below) all have very sad stories, but they have found hope through the Esther Foundation and it's amazing staff. It always overwhelms me when i see these girls, because they are all so young and beautiful. They look so innocent and yet their lives have been tainted by hardship. It really breaks my heart to know that. However, I believe God will restore what the enemy has stolen from their lives. He makes all things new.

Anyway, the night was MC'd by staff from the Foundation and comprised of an African meal with some African style performances. There were some African-clothed drummers and dancers, some Esther Foundation girls doing some African singing and dancing, and then an African couple who got up and sang in front of a video clip they had made, which showed people from an African tribe dancing. The lady sang in Swahili (no idea how to spell that), which was beautiful.

I actually think the prayer tongue that God has given me is African, because as she was singing, i was quietly singing in tongues and it goes with her singing ;-) haha, well i think so.

















1 comment:

Liz_kare said...

Michelle!!!!!!!!!!!! Wish you told me about it, I would have come. My face always lights up every time I see the word...Kenya.

PS: You got the spelling of swahili right.

God Bless,

Liz