21 July 2013

Replacement remote car key

Can't believe I could come so close to being fooled into parting with money simply for the reason of making some greedy person rich! My remote car key broke a few years ago and so I put it aside and used the spare non-remote key. Well, this week gone by I rang up a toyota dealer to enquire about getting another key - they quoted me $400 for a new remote copy that has to be programmed to my car! ... well then the guy said that if I bought the broken key pieces in, he could salvage the inside components and give me a replacement key for $200. Another guy told me he could get a new shell for about $100 but then I would have to bring it in to get programmed and that would cost $70.

Well, I went ahead and asked him to order a shell .... but then out of curiosity, I looked up the shells on eBay. It turns out they cost simply $4.50!!! AND I examined my key pieces. It turns out the remote and metal parts are totally intact and working well - it is just simply the case that doesn't work, but if I simply get a new case shell and put my pieces in, it will work! Gosh, I cannot believe I was so stupid to almost part with my hard-earned money.

I'm not going to collect that ridiculously expensive shell I got the guy to order. No way. I have now ordered a shell off eBay for $4.50.


No comments: