25 April 2010

Repentance and Forgiveness

We have just finished a very intense week at YWAM in which we studied the subject of repentance and forgiveness. It was a great topic that I think would be an asset to Bible College, so I sent the guys at college at update. The week included a thorough study of sin as it is presented in the Bible and we began by looking at the story of the prodigal son. Our base leader gave some amazing testimonies from his own life as well as recalling some experiences that other people had dealt with and then presented us with a very clear overview of about 75 different types of sin, such as unforgiveness, pornography, sexual immorality, gossip, lying, stealing, breaking the law, etc…

Each student was encouraged during the week to spend time in prayer asking God if there was any area of sin they felt was relevant to them and which they needed to repent of publicly at the end of the week, and to write them on a piece of paper.

Then on Friday, the staff set up three chairs at the front of the room and students were given free choice to sit in the middle with one staff member on either side of them, and read out their list of anything they felt convicted of repenting for. I was amazed at how genuine everyone was. We were all brought to tears as we read out and repented for many things. I think the most surprising thing to me was hearing so many students repent of having sex or being sexually immoral with so many people, especially given how young they are!!! - each one named the people as well. I was dumbfounded. Emily, Joe, Adam, Carolyn, Brittany, Noel, Luke, Cody, Josie, even Katelyn had all given away their virginity. I am just so grateful I never gave that precious gift away despite the turmoil in my life before I found Jesus.

Although I previously hadn’t felt like participating, I felt the Lord prompt me to go up the front. To my surprise, I was emotional from the moment the confessions began and I found myself saying "Lord, I repent of unforgiveness towards the violent, abusive and cruel father who helped bring me into this world and all the guys who have abused my sister and led to the loss of so many innocent lives". I mumbled about how I had issues with trusting guys and letting them get close to me and how I look at the quality of my family's lives and cannot help but think about why they are like that and I also repented of gossip, slander and unwholesome talk relating to them. I think my confession brought a lot of shock to those who listened. I guess some people were probably wondering about my sex life, but I just didn't feel like I needed to deal with anything.

Apparently a few people cried through my confession. Anders said he saw a vision for me and said I have been in the cold dark winter and had had a taste of spring, but summer was yet to come - a time of great happiness and joy. Ansen wrote me a note that really touched me too saying God knows every tear I've cried. Daniel quoted that Scripture to me about having beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning and the garment of praise for a spirit of heaviness.

The staff members then prayed over each person before they took their piece of paper to a huge wooden cross at the back of the room and nailed it to the cross. It was just an amazingly liberating time in which weightiness lifted off our shoulders and closer bonds were formed in our group. We actually spent the entire day doing this – from about 9am to 7.30pm with meal breaks included. What an amazing day. I felt pretty gutted afterwards, but have crashed at mum's house Friday and Saturday night to get away and recover, so am feeling heaps better. I am so blessed to have been able to escape.

No comments: