26 December 2007

A wrong decision can change your life

Recently, I have been thinking about how decisions we make are so critical, with long-term consequences.

I recently got in contact with a guy I used to pray with every Monday night through my final year of uni, some eight plus years ago. He was such a sweet innocent Godly guy with high ethics and great moral standards. Today, he is a single father of a two year old boy. I don’t think he was ever married to the little boy’s mother.

A couple of Fridays ago, I helped a friend out by sitting in her art exhibition all day, while she packed all her things in preparation for moving house. Her exhibition was one of two in the gallery. I had to sit next to the lady who provided the rest of the artwork in the gallery, all day, so we chatted. She told me she is a single mother of a 15 year old boy. She told me her child was the result of one carefree night. She subsequently told the father she wanted nothing to do with him and that she would never claim a cent from him, provided he left her alone to raise the boy on her own. She and the child migrated to Australia from Thailand fourteen years ago. I couldn’t help but feel sadness for the young boy who wont have a father to help raise him.

Last Friday I went to The Well and Phil received a word of knowledge that there were five people in the room who had contemplated suicide in the last week. Of them was a young girl – she was so pretty. Phil said God spoke to him about this girl, saying that all her life, she had craved the presence of a father. Jeanette told me later that this girl was the product of a single mum who had raised her. How sad.

Anyway, I guess what triggered all these thoughts in the first place is my sister’s recent announcement that she is nine weeks pregnant to a guy who has no idea. Instead, she has deceived another guy into thinking he is the father. She is currently in Norway meeting all his family and spending Chrissy with them. I don’t think she even realises what she is doing and it breaks my heart to think of the poor child being born into deception. The child’s father invited me to a Chrissy eve party, but I declined. I almost changed my mind, but I spoke to Jeanette Howell about it and her advice was to not interfere, but to back off and let my sister sort out her mess. She said it is her life, her wrong decision, her choice… all I can do is pray and commit the situation to God. Oh Lord! I will be affected by this, we all will. It’s all so wrong. Here i am seven months prior to the introduction of my first neice or nephew and I can picture myself going to church with a little baby …. and my sister’s carefree lifestyle continuing on. When will this end? When will she realize the consequences?

I randomly started reading 2 Samuel in the bible last week, the bit abut King David and how he was caught up in lust over another man’s wife, Bathsheba, who he spied bathing. Consequently, he devised a cunning plan to kill her husband so he could claim her as his own wife. Later in the book, we are told about King David’s two sons, Amnon and Absalom. Similar to his father, Amnon is filled with lust over a beautiful woman, Absalom’s sister Tamar (I gather they had different mothers). He pretends to be ill and then arranges for her to attend to him. No sooner does she obey his command, he then rapes her and then sends her away, refusing to make her his wife, despite the fact that he has stolen her purity and destroyed her potential for receiving a better husband, because she is now considered tainted. In anger, Absalom murders his brother two years later through an equally deceptive and cunning plan. What a horrible story, but the reality is that King David’s wrong decision of committing sexual immorality and then murder, had later repercussions down his family line.

My sister’s pattern of behaviour has mirrored earlier generations. I know God can change it all, but without acknowledging Him as Lord and Saviour, the challenge is futile. Lord Jesus, I pray you will intervene in all their lives.

No comments: