Sometimes it is really hard to stand up for what is right. Yesterday, I returned to the classroom early after morning tea to pack up my things and take them upstairs to the auditorium where we had out next class. However, upon arriving, I discovered that some guy in the class had gone through my things, found my assignment and was sitting there copying all my answers onto his blank assignment sheet. When I asked for it back, he got really annoyed. What a sneaky thing to do! Anyway, I responded in love, but then later asked Ps David for his advice on how I should have responded.
Boy, I didn't expect a volcano to erupt from him! He was so angry. I have never seen him like that. He said it was not only cheating, but stealing and said it was equivalent to the student stealing my purse! He was obviously enraged and I told him I was reluctant to say who it was because I felt awkward about some other incidents I brought to Ps Judy's attention earlier. Anwyay, he said I should speak to Ps Judy because it was her subject and she also got very angry and insisted I tell her who it was. Urrrgggh, so I did. She threatened to tell the guy's gf. Then we also discussed her class and I told her how the "discussion" times end up being opportunities in which all the students who have not done the assignments just copy what the others have written and I asked her what the point of her subject was, given this is what the other students did. Boy, she got madder and madder. I left her fuming, feeling very uncomfortable.
Then today, despite saying how uneasy I felt about the whole thing, Ps Judy and Ps David made a big point about correcting the students. They pointed out that cheating on assignments and stealing demonstrated a lack of integrity and may result in international students losing their visas and being sent home. They also stressed that a person offering their assignments to others to copy was just as bad as those who copied others' work. I could sense Luke's discomfort and felt his glare on me after class ... I removed him from my friends list on Facebook. Definitely don't want friends like him. What a jerk.
No comments:
Post a Comment