01 March 2008

My first assignment at college

We had to write a 400-word commentary on Mark 4:24-25 and explain why listening is so important, using our own examples. This is what I wrote:

Then He said to them, "Take heed what you hear. With the same measure you use, it will be measured to you; and to you who hear, more will be given. For whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him. [Mark 4:24-25] NKJV

And He said to them, Be careful what you are hearing. The measure [of thought and study] you give [to the truth you hear] will be the measure [of virtue and knowledge] that comes back to you - and more [besides] will be given to you who hear. For to him who has will more be given; and from him who has nothing, even what he has will be taken away [by force]. [Mark 4:24-25] Amp

My understanding of this passage is that I need to be extremely selective about the type of information I expose myself to, both consciously and sub-consciously, and how I apply the wisdom I gain from different sources. The consequence of poor choices is ultimately inner destruction, which leads to the loss of spiritual wisdom, and death.

As defined in our course notes, hearing describes "the physiological sensory processes by which auditory sensations are received by the ears and transmitted to the brain", whereas listening refers to "a more complex psychological procedure involving interpreting and understanding the significance of the sensory experience".

Listening is vital because it has a significant impact on my physical, emotional and spiritual well-being, the quality of my relationships with friends and family members, my relationship with God and my success and prosperity in life.

Prior to accepting Jesus as my Lord and Saviour, I used to listen to a lot of heavy metal music with lyrics about the devil being inside me. I also watched horror movies, read gruesome novels and magazine articles and often visited the cemetery to read the gravestones. In hindsight, I realise this had a negative effect on my health because my sleep was not peaceful, I was often unwell and my ability to concentrate in classes and perform well in school, was compromised. I also remember having feelings of intense hatred and bitterness for life in general, which was reflected in many horror-themed pictures I painted in art classes, my choice of wearing mainly black, torn clothes and having half of my head shaved. I had no joy in life and I didn't relate well to people. My many attempts to end my life as a teenager were a further reflection of the enemy's strongholds in my life. The devil gained many footholds in my life through my poor choice of listening material!

Following God's mercy towards me and my introduction to God's kingdom, my choice of audio and visual material gradually changed, in addition to the type of people I had spent time with. Praise and worship music, Godly teaching (through church sermons, home group meetings, tapes, literature and movies), on-fire prayer meetings and reading God's Word have dispelled the darkness from my life. Every day, I verbally declare and confess the Word of God over my life, put on God's armor and spend time in prayer.


Today, my life is a testimony to the benefits of listening to spiritual wisdom. I am fit and healthy and I have a sound mind - the mind of Christ - which allows me to concentrate and receive more wisdom, and, in turn, blessings. In claiming God's promises and asking the Holy Spirit to lead me and guide me, He has granted me precious friendships with like-minded people, and made my life prosperous. Through Jesus I am able to crush satan beneath my feet and live a victorious life. Praise God I now know how to listen well.


I got 80% for this one ... not bad.

No comments: