21 October 2007

New Mayors, Presidents and Councillors

Had a really long night of work last night, which extended into the wee small hours of this morning cos I was doing a bit of work for the Electoral Commission. We had a mighty task of processing all the results from the recent local government elections, which took place across the State. My job was to process emails from the returning officers who had used a program called “Count WA” and then to enter them into the Electoral Management System so our IT gurus could then upload them onto the website.

We processed about 60 local government authorities’ results, which involved filling about 210 vacancies for councilors, mayors and presidents. It was actually a lot of fun. I was put into the boys team – working with three young blokes – two of whom were the sons of managers in the office. We had a really great time, joking around a lot and making the most of our very long shift together. I think the biggest council was the City of Perth. I had to do a ring around close to midnight to find out where some 20 or so councils were at because we hadn’t heard from them. A few of them said they were no where near finished with counting ballot papers. I think the last person left at about 4.00 am. I wasn’t keen on hanging around. I think a lot of the people just wanted the overtime pay, but I figured my sleep was more valuable. Money isn’t everything.

Anyway, here are some shots from the night, starting with the three blokes I worked with.

No comments: