27 June 2007

Singing in a new language

Something very strange has happened recently.

One of the things i remember most about my grandmother is when i was very young, she used to sing in tongues. We would stay over at her house and all night she would be singing in tongues. I didn't understand it back then and I didn't give my heart to God until some 20 years later? At the time, i thought it sounded like the most horrible sound. She would carry on for hours and hours all through the night in a very high voice. It was the strangest thing i had ever heard. I remember covering my ears with pillows (with my hands over the pillows) trying to block out the noise. It seemed to go on forever.

Anyway, a few weeks before my grandmother died, I was praying one night and all of a sudden i started singing in tongues - nothing like my grandmother so many years ago (thank God!) - but just this amazing tune in a foreign language. It sounded like jazzy blues music and it went on for about half an hour. As soon as i started singing, i felt like everything inside me was dancing and it just gave me the most amazing joy inside. When i stopped, i was like 'where the heck did that come from?!?'. Over the subsequent days i would lie down to sleep and then just have a strange desire to sing... and then out would come a tune in a different language. It sounds like it's African, maybe? I am not really a worship person. I mean, i will sing along to music in church, but it's not really something that comes to me naturally. It's not my God-given ministry.

Anyway, the day my grandmother died, it's like this gift just got transferred to me (i wonder if that's possible). Every day since she died, i have found myself singing in tongues and one day, i even sang in tongues for about two hours straight!!! My friend, Narelle, suggested it is my inheritance and is ministering to my mum (it was her mother who died). I think she might be right. Mum can't stop laughing when she hears me and at night, she said it's like a lullaby that puts her to sleep. I wish i had a tape recorder. It is so bizarre. I like how it sounds and every time i get in the car, i sing to where i'm going. At night, i sing myself to sleep. How totally bizarre! Praise God for this gift.

1 comment:

spiritfilled said...

While worshiping at church,all of a sudden on Oct 7,2007 I was blessed with singing in tongues. I received baptism of the Holy Spirit six years ago though.For 3 or 4 years I had been praying to God that he would bless me with the singing voice that he wanted me to have. I've always tried to sing but can't hardly carry a tune.I think it is magnificient what the Lord has done. I'm still in awe of it.